Trinity assembly runtimes and resources

Hi there,

I have been running a Trinity assembly to create a reference transcriptome and a gene-to-transcript map. It has been running for almost two weeks and I am wondering how I can see the progress or an estimated time for completion?

Recently, it switched from “this job is currently running” to “this job is waiting to run”, and I would also like to know why this happened. I have been on a time crunch for a project and would really really love to have some sort of time estimate for when this tool can finish.

Thank you for your help!

Julie

1 Like

Hi @jradfor8,
unfortunately, is not possible to evaluate the progress of your process; which Galaxy instance are you using?

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not sure what you mean by which “instance”, but I am on the usegalaxy.org server. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks again,

Julie

1 Like

I had the same question here. My Trinity jobs are still waiting to run.

2 Likes

I’ll try to provide both of you with more information as soon as possible.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi @jradfor8 & @Sammy

The cluster at UseGalaxy.org that runs Trinity is very busy.

The best strategy is to start up the jobs, then allow them to complete. If you delete/rerun, that new job goes back at the end of the queue, extending wait time.

Only delete/rerun if you already know the inputs have problems and need to rerun anyway. Stalled jobs can also be due to issues with upstream jobs, and sending those outputs as inputs to Trinity. Please check to make sure upstream/input datasets are in a successful state (“green”).

Few more tips:

Make sure that you ran some QA/QC on the inputs. Trinity requires that paired inputs are still paired after QA. Trimmomatic can do both and you can learn about your input quality with FastQC.

Thanks @gallardoalba for triaging these questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there!

I have not deleted or rerun the job at all.
My input files are in the successful state, and have already been QC’d appropriately. Is there any possible way that you can unpause this job? It is stuck in the “waiting to run” phase, even though previous to being stopped it was running nonstop for two weeks (in the yellow phase).

Thanks for your reply and help.

1 Like

Hi @jradfor8

A “gray” colored job is waiting for resources to become available. Meaning, it is in the job queue already.

A “yellow” job is actively executing. It will end in either a “green” (successful) or “red” (error) state at UseGalaxy.org. Some other public Galaxy servers do this a bit differently, and will automatically rerun a job one or more times if it originally failed. An example public Galaxy server that automatically reruns all failed jobs one time is UseGalaxy.eu.

That said, the cluster that runs Trinity jobs at UseGalaxy.org did undergo some configuration changes over the last month. Some jobs were impacted and administratively rerun. My guess is that is what happened in your case as you explain it, and from what I can see in your account.

The Trinity job was started on Feb 12. It is batched with 8 total paired-end inputs, pooled = yes, and no QA/QC was done on the reads, or rather, no QA was included in the history where this work is included. The data appears to have been downloaded from SRA and directly input to Trinity (?).

“Pooled” can be set to either yes or no.

• For “pooled = yes”, that means all inputs will be combined into one assembly. The datasets are quite large to be pooled, between ~10-20 GB for each end of each pair. An assembly at a public Galaxy server (any) is unlikely to be successful with that much data run as “pooled = yes”. It will run out of resources and fail, for either runtime or memory reasons.
  • For “pooled = no”, there will be one assembly job/result per paired-end read input. Some of your pairs would probably assemble, but it is unlikely that all would, especially the first pair in the collection as it is now (the largest, with no QA).

We granted you some extra quota space already, so sent you links about the ways to use Galaxy, but I also added them below again for others reading. Public servers usually not a good choice for any single job that involves a very large amount of data. Many smaller individual jobs are usually fine. Quota space is storage space, and unrelated to the amount of memory/resources a tool uses when executing. Public Galaxy servers have significant computational resource allocations but not as much as what you can set up yourself in your own Galaxy (for practical reasons).

What to do from here:

If you didn’t intend to pool the data, then you should rerun it as “pooled = no”. You can still use a collection input. Definitely do some QA first. If any of the jobs fail, then you’ll either need to adjust the inputs (downsample the reads with a tool like Seqtk) or run the job at a Galaxy server with more resources allocated (your own).

If you did intend to pool the data, expect this job to fail for resource reasons. QA won’t make a difference by itself at UseGalaxy.org, but you should do some QA if/when you decide to run the job at your own Galaxy server. Downsampling + QA might help at UseGalaxy.org, but you would need to test that to see how much is needed to get a successful job – and decide if the assembly using that much downsampling is still of value to you. The maximum total size of all inputs sent to a Trinity job is between 20-35 GB when working at public servers. This is not exact since the size of the data is just one factor – the read content is another (and is why a QA step is strongly recommended).

Ways to use Galaxy:

Hope that helps you to make some decisions about how to proceed.

Jen

1 Like

@jennaj a month ago (april 19th) I submitted a pair of fastq.gz files (one F+R, 12GB) to run in Trinity. The job is still running. Today I found this previous entry:

Any suggestion? I should stop and rerun, wait or there is any other option available?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi @Agustin_Baricalla

If the job is large, you may need to move to your own Galaxy server.

If it not that large, try a rerun. Trinity had some problems a few weeks ago. Most of those jobs were recovered and completed by now, but possibly not all. This goes against the usual “never rerun” advice but for this specific tool in that specific time frame, a rerun may be appropriate.

1 Like

Just so folks are aware, I’m currently having this issue with Trinity running as well, and presume the main server is log-jammed again. I also have some other simple jobs that are still in the queue. Thanks for the advice here, @jennaj. I’ll be patient for now. :smirk: