Importing history between different Galaxy instances fails

I am trying to transfer a history from usegalaxy.org to usegalaxy.eu, however, the import job fails with a python error. The history has been exported to a URL and published on the .org side.

History:
Galaxy | Published History | Unnamed history (~6GB)

Edit: Further testing with a very small history (70 bytes) yields the same error.
Further testing to import the same exported history from usegalaxy.org into usegalaxy.no yields the same error. Further testing exporting a history from usegalaxy.eu into usegalaxy.no results in the same error.
I conclude that this has to be a general problem with these Galaxy instances, or the function has been disabled, in which case it should be removed from the UI, or the documentation is misleading and the functionality is not to be used this way.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/galaxy/server/lib/galaxy/tools/imp_exp/unpack_tar_gz_archive.py", line 92, in <module>
    main(options, args)
  File "/opt/galaxy/server/lib/galaxy/tools/imp_exp/unpack_tar_gz_archive.py", line 73, in main
    check_archive(archive_file, dest_dir)
  File "/opt/galaxy/server/lib/galaxy/tools/imp_exp/unpack_tar_gz_archive.py", line 38, in check_archive
    with tarfile.open(archive_file, mode="r") as archive_fp:
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.8/tarfile.py", line 1608, in open
    raise ReadError("file could not be opened successfully")
tarfile.ReadError: file could not be opened successfully

Hi @Michael,
thank you for reporting the problem. I can confirm the problem. I suggest you download the history to your local computer and upload it to the different server as a workaround. An issue will be opened in order to fix it.

Regards

Hi @Michael,
the problem is that the history should be publically accessible. Regards

The histories I have used for testing are all public and accessible.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll report it.

This is working fine for me, can you share the export link ?

3 Likes

I am sorry, I got it working now. I must have forgotten to create the export archive under “Export history to file” or the export must have failed.

1 Like

Thank you so much @mvdbeek.