Remote User problem with Apache2

Hi!

I am trying to configure a remote user using Apache2. I followed the guides, I found in the galaxy site, but even I was able to log in and navigate in the galaxy, every time I get this error:

{
“userAgent”: “Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.142 Safari/537.36”,
“onLine”: true,
“version”: “19.05”,
“xhr”: {
“readyState”: 4,
“responseText”: “{“err_msg”: “History is not accessible by user”, “err_code”: 403002}”,
“responseJSON”: {
“err_msg”: “History is not accessible by user”,
“err_code”: 403002
},
“status”: 403,
“statusText”: “Forbidden”
},
“options”: {
“parse”: true,
“data”: “keys=size%2Cnon_ready_jobs%2Ccontents_active%2Chid_counter”,
“emulateHTTP”: false,
“emulateJSON”: false,
“textStatus”: “error”,
“errorThrown”: “Forbidden”
},
“url”: “http://dl036.madgik.di.uoa.gr/galax/galaxy/api/histories/f2db41e1fa331b3e?keys=size%2Cnon_ready_jobs%2Ccontents_active%2Chid_counter”,
“model”: {
“model_class”: “History”,
“id”: “f2db41e1fa331b3e”,
“name”: “Unnamed history”,
“state”: “new”,
“deleted”: false,
“contents_active”: {
“active”: 0,
“deleted”: 0,
“hidden”: 0
},
“contents_states”: {},
“hid_counter”: 1,
“update_time”: “2019-08-26T08:26:03.972Z”,
“user_id”: null,
“importable”: false,
“tags”: [],
“contents_url”: “/galaxy/api/histories/f2db41e1fa331b3e/contents”,
“slug”: null,
“username_and_slug”: null,
“url”: “/galaxy/api/histories/f2db41e1fa331b3e”,
“genome_build”: “?”,
“create_time”: “2019-08-26T08:26:03.972Z”,
“published”: false,
“annotation”: null,
“size”: 0,
“purged”: false,
“nice_size”: “(empty)”
},
“user”: {
“id”: “f2db41e1fa331b3e”,
“username”: “admin”,
“total_disk_usage”: 0,
“nice_total_disk_usage”: “0 bytes”,
“quota_percent”: null,
“is_admin”: false,
“preferences”: {},
“tags_used”: [],
“deleted”: false,
“purged”: false,
“quota”: null
}
}

Also, I would like to know, if I can have both external users (remote user) authentication and also the galaxy to be accessible using credentials directly through the galaxy interface. Now, I am trying to log in directly to the galaxy, but I keep taking this error:

Access to Galaxy is denied

Galaxy is configured to authenticate users via an external method (such as HTTP authentication in Apache), but a username was not provided by the upstream (proxy) server. This is generally due to a misconfiguration in the upstream server.

Please contact your local Galaxy administrator.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

If you want to use multiple authentication mechanisms, you cannot use Apache for Remote User Authentication. I’d suggest to use the Galaxy auth framework. There is some documentation at https://galaxyproject.org/admin/config/external-user-auth/ and examples in config/auth_conf.xml.sample .

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you for the quick response!

The problem "History is not accessible by user "appears only in Google Chrome. Firefox and Safari work as expected.

Is there any reason that Apache for Remote User is not supported?

The whole project is behind apache for security reasons.

Ping @nsoranzo

Apache for Remote User is supported. What I said that is not possible is to use it together with other authentication mechanisms, which you asked for in:

1 Like

Thank once again!

If Remote user cannot be combined with credentials directly through the galaxy interface, how I can log in in the Galaxy as an administrator using Apache Remote user?

Hi @kkech

It is the account itself that has administrative privileges granted or not. When the user is admin, in the GUI there is an extra masthead menu item named “Admin”. The available admin functions in the GUI are not the full list of administrative options but do include basic actions for managing users, tools, data, workflows, and jobs. Non-admin users will not have access to the extra “Admin” menu.

This means that if the account you are logging into is set as an admin account in the galaxy.yml file, create and log into it the same way as any other user would.

cc @nsoranzo