Anaconda defaults repository Commercial Edition

Hi,

I have a question about conda used in galaxy. In 2020, anaconda’s TOS changed and organizations larger than 200 people will have to pay for the use of the anaconda defaults repository.

Galaxy uses conda for dependency resolver and it is very useful. I think many of tools can be installed with conda-forge , bioconda , and iuc repository, but sometimes need to use the defaults repository. Do public and local Galaxy server admins belonging to a large for-profit organization charge for the use of the anaconda defaults repository? Has this ever been discussed in Galaxy community?

Best,
Yukie

1 Like

Hi @yukieymd

Thank you for posting the question. I’ve asked the Galaxy Admin’s group for advice about if or how they handle this situation.

The question is here at Gitter. They may reply back to this topic or at Gitter. Also, please feel free to join the chat: https://gitter.im/galaxyproject/admins?at=5fd7b3060697c1210dbfce0e

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

if you follow the best-practices and use only packages from Bioconda and conda-forge this should not be a problem as most if not all packages are on both channels. In addition, Anaconda is so generous and supporting both community projects with free CDN hosting and unlimited space.

I hope that helps,
Bjoern

2 Likes

Hi @jennaj and @bjoern.gruening ,

Thanks to both of you for your help. Most of the tools seemed to be able to be installed via channels other than defaults.

Best wishes and happy holidays,
Yukie

1 Like