Apple M1 galaxy local installation

I am freshly installing galaxy to Apple M1 laptop. I installed in the base conda environment and got a strange error message when I type sh run.sh in the terminal.

Found Conda, will set up a virtualenv using conda.
To use a virtualenv instead, create one with a non-Conda Python at .venv
Creating Conda environment for Galaxy: galaxy
To avoid this, use the --no-create-venv flag or set $GALAXY_CONDA_ENV to an
existing environment before starting Galaxy.
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed

PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

• python=3.6

Current channels:

To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you’re
looking for, navigate to

https://anaconda.org

and use the search bar at the top of the page.

My understanding is that I need to have above python3.6 to run galaxy. The current conda base environment version is 3.8, so it should be fine. Is this error related to apple M1? Or something others went wrong?

While I was not able to figure out why this error was thrown out, I was able to work around this issue (It was not related to Apple M1). Its underlying cause may be the incompatibility between conda and virtualenv. Anyway, this was what I did:
I first got out of conda environment: conda deactivate. I then checked python version to be sure that above python 3.6 is used (python --version). If that is not the case, probably you need to update and change the path. I then installed virtualenv.
$ pip install virtualenv
$ cd galaxy
$ virtualenv .venv; . .venv/bin/activate
$ sh run.sh

1 Like