Problems with becoming an admin

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a galaxy locally and become an admin. However, I get the error below when I use the sh run.sh command. Can anyone help me with this? I am completely stuck.

Creating Python virtual environment for Galaxy: .venv
using Python: C:/Windows/py.exe
To avoid this, use the --no-create-venv flag or set $GALAXY_VIRTUAL_ENV to an
existing environment before starting Galaxy.
Fetching https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/source/v/virtualenv/virtualenv-16.7.9.tar.gz
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0
100 5001k 100 5001k 0 0 5276k 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 10.5M
Verifying /tmp/galaxy-virtualenv-omhd7z/virtualenv-16.7.9.tar.gz checksum is 0d62c70883c0342d59c11d0ddac0d954d0431321a41ab20851facf2b222598f3
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/tmp/galaxy-virtualenv-omhd7z/virtualenv-16.7.9.tar.gz’

1 Like

Are you using windows? A requirement for galaxy is UNIX/Linux or Mac OSX.

See: Get Galaxy

1 Like

I manged to install virtualenenv in the end but now I have this error

Activating virtualenv at .venv
./scripts/common_startup_functions.sh: line 105: .venv/bin/activate: No such file or directory

This:

C:/Windows/py.exe

Suggests you are using microsoft windows. You whole operating system need to be UNIX/Linux or Mac OSX.

1 Like

Yes you are right. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

To add to @gbbio 's reply

Along with avoiding Windows, when you start up under a different OS, try using a Conda virtual environment instead of Python, or expect more problems with the install and/or functionality once using the web GUI. The help in this prior Q&A is still valid and is based on Mac OSX, but the basics are the same under UNIX/Linux:

Thanks!