transfer history from my account on one Galaxy server to another Galaxy server

Yes, the sharing just needs to be by a link. You don’t need to publish.

You also seem to be confusing Workflows and Histories but that might be just how I am reading your comment. To be clear: these are distinct objects. Each have similar Share/Publish options, covered in an FAQ under here (the first one).

• For a History: under Saved Histories – click on a history name for a pull-down menu that includes Share or Publish. Or if that history is currently loaded, find that same option in the history panel menu (gear icon). Histories .tgz archives are imported from the history menu with Import from File (but both “file” and “URLs” are accepted on the form).
  • For a Workflow: option is under Workflow ( top masthead item, the result page is named “Your Workflows”) – click on a workflow name for a pull-down menu. Workflows have a button on that same listing page (top right corner) for importing/uploading the .ga files.

Please be aware of this newer feature: When sharing a history, you have the option of just sharing the history or also sharing the objects (eg: datasets) so others can work with them. Unshare to see which you picked, and check on the “also share objects” and recreate the share link if needed.

The FAQ needs an update to include all this, and we might need a new one for importing. I’ll take care of that. The UI was changing quite a bit this year and will again in the next release, then it should be stable for a bit longer again.

If the above as all been done, let’s troubleshoot more from this info from you:

1. What server are you trying to upload the Galaxy history archive to? URL please, or state if not public (your own Galaxy? Version? Source?)

2. Are you using the function under History menu > Import from File?

3. Is the file you are trying to load a History archive (ends with .tgz) and not a Workflow file (ends with .ga)

4. Does the history archive actually contain data? Check the file size and uncompressed/review contents as needed. It will be about the same size as the original history in the browser (this info is displayed at the top of the history panel, or on the saved history listing).