What categories would you like to see at Galaxy Help?

Category suggestions: open discussion, share your ideas!

• Can be for top-level, nested, or both
  • Promote particular tags?
  • Beyond Q&A: dedicated spaces for discussing scientific methods; specific tools; data resources; Galaxy functionality; shared resources; news; server updates; your-favorite-galaxy-topics…

Maybe we could have a topic for training materials, possibly with subcategory per training topic? Also would like to see one for Metagenomics (and perhaps subcategories for the big tool suites, mothur and qiime) :+1:

2 Likes

The major thing to consider is categories vs tags. Tags offer you quick searching of related topics (https://help.galaxyproject.org/tags/admin) already, if you want more then categories will get you pinned topics and additional settings like hierarchy, color, security, logo, topic templates, and tag subsets.

1 Like

Really like this idea, would be an incredibly helpful resource (easy to navigate, consolidated knowledge, etc)

I’d like a category for usegalaxy.* and tags for Main/EU/AU

ah, gotcha :slight_smile: Then probably better to have a category for training and within that use tags for the different training topics. And similarly maybe a “tool support” category, and tags for tools/suites within there.

I appreciate @marten’s distinction between categories and tags. I think Tags are cheap and plentiful while categories should be few and precious. Here’s a first proposal

Categories

• Use (or Using or Usage or …)
    • Posts about how to use Galaxy
  • Admin
    • Posts about how to run a Galaxy Server
  • Training §
    • Questions about training materials and using Galaxy for Training
  • News § (or Announcements or …)
    • Almost everything that I post. :- )
  • Site Feedback
    • Already have this one. Discussions about how this help site works
  • Uncategorized
    • Really, sometimes it’s hard to know where to put things. Have this be the default.

And then I get less certain. Should we also have

• Dev
    • Discussions about Galaxy code. It’s usually Admins doing code…
  • Tool Wrapping (or Resource Definition or … but not Tools)
    • Discussions about wrapping tools, data sources, visualizations… Will there be enough questions to justify this, or should it be heaped under Dev or Admin?

§ What about news items that are about training? I dunno!

Tags

New tags can (currently) be created by anyone who has made a few posts. However, even if tags are a free for all, we can probably come up with some best practices. Some suggestions.

• Have a standard tag prefix (or suffix) for the different platforms for using galaxy (for example: use-pl-grid, use-galaxy-org, use-galaxy-eu, use-jetstream, use-phenomenal …)
  • I don’t think tool tags need a naming convention, and I’m ambivalent if we even need them. The text will almost always contain the name of the tool, and thus search without tags will find it.
  • I think domain tags like rna-seq, qc, and phage are useful
  • I think the combination of a Training category and a domain tag would work nicely

That’s my 23¢

1 Like

Ok, I’m already less certain about the standard tag prefix for platform tags. I’m still in favor of using tags for platforms. Using categories for platforms just creates too many categories.

Hi All,

I’d like to get this settled and in use before our library of existing questions gets much bigger. Any thoughts on this?

I’m still a fan of the categories I nominated above. And I’m still less certain about the tags proposal.

Oh might Galaxy community: what say ye?

tbh I think it works as is. The only extra category I can imagine is usegalaxy.org.au support, but that would be mostly empty atm. Admin tag works pretty good, and e.g. https://help.galaxyproject.org/tags/dataset-collection is also used without top->down intervention. I do not see the benefit, but then, you are the expert.

2nd this – would round things out.

What do you think @Slugger70 ?

The reasons why I would vote for Admin and Training as top-level categories is that would allow us to “pin” topics for each. Still keep the tags --work well for finding posts across categories, in context). Both of these have distinct resources, events, alt contacts points, and news. The most “repeated/cross-linked” content so far is about resources, and specifically, resources for these two areas. I would lump Dev into Admin – but that’s just me.

In short, add a few more categories + leverage pinned posts for key communications.

I’m on the fence about News as a distinct category – maybe a tag is better (and enough for searches). The Hub already has that. Instead, pin news per category when something important is going on. But … my mind can be changed either way about this one.

Agree with this (if understanding correctly)… with the exception of the primary usegalaxy.* servers – those as distinct categories definately helps.

I like @tnabtaf’s categories and I think the tags will work great. I prefer Helena’s idea of one category for usegalaxy.* support with tags for Main/EU/AU. We can even add tags to these ourselves to notify people of who should look at what (for usegalaxy…)

I’m willing to try this! :sunny:

In practical terms, about half the time the usegalaxy.* category needs to be assigned or reassigned anyway…

I like this idea. When used with linking directly to e.g. usegalaxy.eu support - Galaxy Community Help it would create cleaner “subsites” for each group of interest.

1 Like