I appreciate @marten’s distinction between categories and tags. I think Tags are cheap and plentiful while categories should be few and precious. Here’s a first proposal
Use (or Using or Usage or …)
- Posts about how to use Galaxy
- Posts about how to run a Galaxy Server
- Questions about training materials and using Galaxy for Training
News § (or Announcements or …)
- Almost everything that I post. :- )
- Already have this one. Discussions about how this help site works
- Really, sometimes it’s hard to know where to put things. Have this be the default.
And then I get less certain. Should we also have
- Discussions about Galaxy code. It’s usually
Admins doing code…
Tool Wrapping (or Resource Definition or … but not
- Discussions about wrapping tools, data sources, visualizations… Will there be enough questions to justify this, or should it be heaped under
§ What about news items that are about training? I dunno!
New tags can (currently) be created by anyone who has made a few posts. However, even if tags are a free for all, we can probably come up with some best practices. Some suggestions.
- Have a standard tag prefix (or suffix) for the different platforms for using galaxy (for example:
- I don’t think tool tags need a naming convention, and I’m ambivalent if we even need them. The text will almost always contain the name of the tool, and thus search without tags will find it.
- I think domain tags like
phage are useful
- I think the combination of a
Training category and a domain tag would work nicely
That’s my 23¢