Creating a Collection with Rules from the History

Hi there

I am writing this as a guide to others doing the same. Backstory: I uploaded some data to Galaxy from a SRA experiment, and want to organise it into a nice collection for future analysis.

I used the Building Collection from Rules option on the History menu to create a collection from some items uploaded using the FTP uploader. My starting point is this:

I then did some manipulation with regular expressions and set the paired end identifier resulting in this state:

Note the key actions:

1. a column from the regular expression group in .*/(.*)_ - this becomes the List Identifier in the resulting List of Pairs.
  2. a column from the regular expression group in _([12]) - this becomes the Paired End Identifier in the resulting List of Pairs.

(a note to developers: if you get your specification wrong, the Rule based Collection builder will silently fail. also if you happen to press Esc at any time your Rule based Collection builder will vanish and you need to start from scratch)

The result is a list of pairs collection:

(TODO: how to deal with large collections where they don’t all fit into a single History panel - I suspect I might need to create 2 collections and merge them using collection tools)

3 Likes