Turning a GetGalaxy server in an Ansible Galaxy server

Hi,
I have created a local galaxy server (version 22.05) by following the GetGalaxy tutorial (Get Galaxy - Galaxy Community Hub). I would now like to automate the server by making a ansible playbook. I, however, have no idea were to start in regards to the galaxy.yml and galaxyservers.yml files.
I have already created an ansible.cfg and a hosts file and added them to the server, but am quite stuck on what to specifically put in the galaxy.yml and galaxyserver.yml files so it wouldn’t clash with already existing files with similar names or contents and would still do what it is supposed to do.
Edit: I also saw that the GetGalaxy server uses SQLite instead of PostgreSQL and was wondering if there were other important differences between the GetGalaxy and Ansible version.
If anyone would have some experience or knowledge about this topic, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @cbass

Resources, these are our primary admin hubs with linkouts to and examples for topic-specific resources

1. admin documentation

https://docs.galaxyproject.org/

1. admin tutorials
  1. related prior Q&A at this forum

https://help.galaxyproject.org/search?q=ansible

This guide is for a very simple install. There are other basic deployment types with more pre-configured. One example is the Docker Ansible Galaxy

Definitely backup/clone what you have before making changes, unless you decide to start over and use a different deployment baseline.

The database should be upgraded to Postgres for any use-case that isn’t temporary. Why is explained the admin docs in the "Administration` section, along with other strongly recommended basic configuration updates. You’ll notice that the most useful advance configs are already in place (and can be custom modified) in containerized and cloud deployment choices.

This specific Q&A isn’t summarized in a topic at this forum yet. So, let’s leave this topic as a single reference specific for the “ansible” overview of primary Galaxy options/resources. If you have another question, please start up a new topic. You can reference this topic by URL (or any other prior Q&A) for context.

Hope that helps :rocket:

1 Like