Accounts deleted from Galaxy Main to enforce posted Terms and Conditions

My account were active last night and running data, however this morning I tried logging in to find a message saying the account had been marked as deleted. How do I recover the data that was in the account?

1 Like

Good afternoon, today I’ve the same problem.
I couldn’t log in this morning and I sent an email but there is not an answer.
Hope this can be fixed.

1 Like

This notice applies to everyone who has found their account deleted unexpectedly from usegalaxy.org.

Hello @dfleming

There is an end user limit of one account per user per public Galaxy server, including Galaxy Main https://usegalaxy.org.

Many end users were found to be associated with two or more accounts. Several were deleted to meet posted Terms and Conditions. Duplicated account reviews and deletions will continue. Any single user may have one account, and one account only, at Galaxy Main.

Attempts to subvert usage terms through the creation of multiple registered accounts or using multiple unregistered/unconfirmed accounts will result in the deletion of all accounts associated with any single end user.

Accounts at Galaxy Main have a very generous per-account quota size of 250 GB. Should these resources not be sufficient, then exploring alternative ways to use Galaxy is the path forward.

Each end user can update account details at any time (email, password). Excess account data can be downloaded and then removed from the server to recover quota space. Registering two or more accounts is never needed.

FAQs: https://galaxyproject.org/support/

Account suspension is not intended to be punitive in the vast majority of cases. Some end users have older legacy accounts left over from training, prior employment/education, and other reasons. Others did not adequately review and understand the account creation terms during registration. A few accounts picked up and deleted may not be actually duplicated, and the primary account will be restored once confirmed. Unfortunately, a few end users also actively and knowingly violate the usage terms, consuming the public resources unfairly at Galaxy Main.

This account was found to be associated with one or more duplicated accounts. To have a single account restored, please send an email, from the registered account email address to be retained, to galaxy-bugs@lists.galaxyproject.org. Note: If your registered account email address is from a public email service, include in the cc of the email your work/academic email address and be very clear about which account will be used as your single account going forward.

Once and if restored, please do not create additional accounts at Galaxy Main. Do not use other’s accounts, even if working in the same group focused on a joint project. Use sharing functions or consider setting up a dedicated Galaxy server for the project. End users are permitted to create a single account at other public Galaxy servers — most if not all have a “one account per end user” requirement.

If an end-user recreates or uses more than one account going forward, knowingly and especially after being directly re-informed about the usage terms, all associated accounts will be permanently removed from the Galaxy Main server, including data, without prior notice.

For those that may have multiple accounts at Galaxy Main, who have not had their duplicated accounts deleted yet, please send an email to the same mailing list above. Proactively deleting any non-primary accounts will prevent account deletion and potential data loss.

This notice applies to everyone who has found their account deleted unexpectedly from Galaxy Main.

We are enforcing account terms to help keep Galaxy Main a fair public resource for everyone!

Thank you! Jen, on behalf of the Galaxy Team and Community

No problem Jen. I had two accounts because I was asked to make one for work. Is it possible to have both restored and then consolidated or then backed up? One is for my data while the other is for lab group data. I will send the email to get the account restored.

1 Like

Hi @Agustin_Baricalla

Please review the post above for why this was done.

We will be responding to emails sent in, in the order received, and expect the majority of situations to be resolved over the upcoming week.

@dfleming Yes, we can explore options for account consolidation. Make sure to mention the email addresses that you need access to in your email.

Thanks for understanding :slight_smile:

My apologies, I sent the email prior to your response. I will need to re-send the email, as I only listed one account. Please refer to the second email with all of the info included

1 Like

Same here - any updates on this? Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Jennaj,

Sorry for the multiple replies, but I wanted to let you know that the correct email to review for this matter has the subject line: “Accounts to be restored”. I apologize for the previous confusion. Also is there anyway to do a bulk download of the data contained within the accounts prior to the consolidation or will the files have to be transferred individually?

1 Like

Hi @Cretin_Monster

Please review the post above. Your accounts were also impacted.

Hi! I am facing the same problem as mentioned above and I have sent an email to mentioned link. Is there any way knowing about inclusion of my issue into the priority list for upcoming week?

@dfleming Please see the FAQ about “Downloading Data” linked in my post. Exporting entire histories might be your option. These can be uncompressed locally to access individual datasets, imported into your own Galaxy, and the like.

Hi Jen, thanks very much for letting me know, I realized that this was the issue in reading the to other posts. I’ve emailed the help address you posted online but haven’t heard back yet - so just in case you’d be able to help out, I’m wondering what the process is for having my account restored under the condition of only using this account from here on out? I’m happy to just delete my other account, it’s just this one that I have some analyses I’m hoping to work on as soon as possible. If you’d be able to point me in the right direction for this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Andres

@Cretin_Monster

I’ll be reviewing emails later today. I don’t mean to be overly harsh, but duplicated accounts were using up resources that other users who respected the “one account” rules were effectively losing fair access to. It is now fair to let those users catch up. We will work with you, and everyone else, to resolve accounts, but it will not be immediate.

See my comments above – if you need to consolidate/download data, include the account addresses in your email, or just reply to the email you already sent adding in additional information. Be very clear about which account are you choosing to retain ongoing.

Hi Jen, I completely understand. This is actually my student’s account, we just shared the access so that I could help her with the analyses she’s doing - the other was for my own work and is mostly a carryover from my previous position. It’d be completely fine to just delete my old account entirely, my concern is just about for my student’s project. I of course understand if it will be some time before the account can be reactivated, but would it at least be possible to download the data for the time being? Thanks very much for your help.