Volcano plot error

Dear Galaxy community,

I’am new to the Galaxy project. I tried using the Volcano plot tool. Everytime I got th efollowing error message: [1] “Header row detected”
Error in log10(pvalue) : non-numeric argument to mathematical function
Calls: print … → f → sca

Does anybody knows what to do? I’am not familiar with bioinformatics or programming and really do not know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
CS

Dear @CSm,
Your input-file contains a header line, which might break the tool. You can remove the header line with " Remove beginning of a file".

Kind regards,
Florian

Dear Florian,

thank you very much for your reply. I tried already and removed the first line in the file, but the result is almost the same. Error message: Error in log10(pvalue) : non-numeric argument to mathematical function
Calls: print … → f → scales_add_defaults → lapply → FUN

Best regards
CS

Dear @CSm,
Please check if your inut file is correclty formatted. I assume that one or multiple lines (pvalues) are empty or contain NaN, Inf, or something else, which cannot be applied to a mathematical function, such as, log10.

Cheers,
Florian

Dear Florian,

thank you very much for your help. I checked already all lines for all parameter, but there are numbers only. From that point of view, it should be fine.

Best regards
CSm

Can you share your history? Then I could take a brief look.

Of course I can. Here it is: Galaxy | Europe | Accessible History | hPASMC Volcano plot

There are different files I tested with. Some are with and some are without header. Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
CSm

It looks like you have numbers for your p-values, but from a programming standpoint, you do not have. Your p-values columns contain “values”, such as, “3,22212E-15”, which will be converted into a factor or string in R. Your values contain commas, which is not a float/double notation.

You have to save your table in a numeric format.

Kind regards,
Florian

Dear Florian,

thank you very much for your advice. Is it like in the history number 20 what you mean? The “3,22212E-15” format looks like in the training material for the volcano plot. Or do you think I have to substitute the comma by point?

Best regards
CSm

Or do you think I have to substitute the comma by point?

Yes

Dear Galaxy community,

I tried using the Volcano plot tool. Everytime I got th efollowing error message: [1] “Header row detected”
Error in log10(pvalue) : non-numeric argument to mathematical function
Calls: print … → f → sca

Does anybody knows what to do? My database looks like the picture.

Thanks in advance.
PS

Hi @Pol_Siso_Camarasa

Did you apply the adjustments that @Flow suggested? The screenshot shows those are not done yet.

1. Remove the header line
  2. Replace commas with dots in numerical values

Hi!

Yes, now it’s working. Thanks for your help @jennaj.

PS

1 Like